- Centre for Research in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology,
- University of Calcutta,
- JD-2, Sector-III, Salt Lake,
- Kolkata, West Bengal, 700106, INDIA
- We are interested in developing novel luminophores in nano scale, with attention currently devoted on lanthanide cation incorporated semiconductor nanoparticles
- Ph.D., Iowa State University, Iowa, USA
Advisor: Professor Jacob W. Petrich
- M.Sc., Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Maharashtra, India
Advisor: Professor Sambhu N. Datta
- B.Sc., Alipurduar College, North Bengal University, West Bengal, India
- Assistant Professor, Centre for Research in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (CRNN), University of Calcutta
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Advisor: Professor David H. Waldeck
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University, Advisor: Professor Jacob W. Petrich
Awards and Fellowships
- University medal for securing 1st class 1st position in B.Sc. (Hons.) (Chemistry) examination, 2000, conducted by the University of North Bengal, India
- Qualified in National Eligibility Test (NET), 2002, India
- The Chevron Phillips Travel Award, 2006, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University, USA
- Graduate Teaching Excellence Award, 2006, Iowa State University, USA
- The Proctor & Gamble Fellowship in Analytical Chemistry, 2007, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University, USA
- Graduate Research Excellence Award, 2008, Iowa State University, USA
- M.Sc. project work at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Sambhu N. Datta, Prasun Mukherjee and Praket P. Jha. “Ab Initio Quantum Chemical Investigation of the Spin States of Some Chain and Monocyclic Diradicals.” J. Phys. Chem. A, 2003, 107, 5049-5057.
- Ph.D. and post-doctoral work at Iowa State University
M. Halder, P. K. Chowdhury, R. Das, P. Mukherjee, W. M. Atkins and J. W. Petrich. “Interaction of Glutathione S-Transferase with Hypericin: A Photophysical Study.” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109, 19484-19489.
- Prasun Mukherjee, D. Bruce Fulton, Mintu Halder, Xinxin Han, Daniel W. Armstrong, Jacob W. Petrich and Christopher S. Lobban. “Maristentorin, a Novel Pigment from the Positively Phototactic Marine Ciliate Maristentor dinoferus, Is Structurally Related to Hypericin and Stentorin.” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2006, 110, 6359-6364 (issue cover).
- M. Halder, L. Sanders Headley, P. Mukherjee, X. Song and J. W. Petrich. “Experimental and Theoretical Investigations of Solvation Dynamics of Ionic Fluids: Appropriateness of Dielectric Theory and the Role of DC Conductivity.” J. Phys. Chem. A, 2006, 110, 8623-8626.
- Lindsay Sanders Headley, Prasun Mukherjee, Jared L. Anderson, Rongfang Ding, Mintu Halder, Daniel W. Armstrong, Xueyu Song and Jacob W. Petrich. “Dynamic Solvation in Imidazolium-Based Ionic Liquids on Short Time Scales.” J. Phys. Chem. A, 2006, 110, 9549-9554.
- Prasun Mukherjee, Jeffrey A. Crank, Mintu Halder, Daniel W. Armstrong and Jacob W. Petrich. “Assessing the Roles of the Constituents of Ionic Liquids in Dynamic Solvation: Comparison of an Ionic Liquid in Micellar and Bulk Form.” J. Phys. Chem. A, 2006, 110, 10725-10730.
- Prasun Mukherjee, Mintu Halder, Mark S. Hargrove and Jacob W. Petrich. “Characterization of the Interactions of Fluorescent Probes with Proteins: Coumarin 153 and 1,8-ANS in Complex with Holo- and Apomyoglobin.” Photochem. Photobiol., 2006, 82, 1586-1590.
- Mintu Halder, Prasun Mukherjee, Sayantan Bose, Mark S. Hargrove, Xueyu Song and Jacob W. Petrich. “Solvation dynamics in protein environments: Comparison of fluorescence upconversion measurements of coumarin 153 in monomeric hemeproteins with molecular dynamics simulations.” J. Chem. Phys., 2007, 127, 055101-055106.
- Christopher S. Lobban, Steven J. Hallam, Prasun Mukherjee and Jacob W. Petrich. “Photophysics and Multifunctionality of Hypericin-Like Pigments in Heterotrich Ciliates: A Phylogenetic Perspective.” Photochem. Photobiol., 2007, 83, 1074-1094.
- Jun Xu, Jun Wang, Mike Mitchell, Prasun Mukherjee, Malika Jeffries-EL, Jacob W. Petrich and Zhiqun Lin. “OrganicInorganic Nanocomposites via Directly Grafting Conjugated Polymers onto Quantum Dots.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2007, 129, 12828-12833.
- Prasun Mukherjee, Ramkrishna Adhikary, Mintu Halder, Jacob W. Petrich and Pavol Miskovsky. “Accumulation and Interaction of Hypericin in Low-density Lipoprotein - A Photophysical Study.” Photochem. Photobiol., 2008, 84, 706-712.
- Prasun Mukherjee, Jeffrey A. Crank, Pritesh S. Sharma, Aruna B. Wijeratne, Ramkrishna Adhikary, Sayantan Bose, Daniel W. Armstrong and Jacob W. Petrich. “Dynamic Solvation in Phosphonium Ionic Liquids: Comparison of Bulk and Micellar Systems and Considerations for the Construction of the Solvation Correlation Function, C(t).” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2008, 112, 3390-3396.
- Ramkrishna Adhikary, Sayantan Bose, Prasun Mukherjee, Aniket Thite, George A. Kraus, Aruna B. Wijeratne, Pritesh S. Sharma, Daniel W. Armstrong and Jacob W. Petrich. “Influence of Chiral Ionic Liquids on the Excited-State Properties of Naproxen Analogs.” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2008, 112, 7555-7559.
- Holger Schönenbrücher, Ramkrishna Adhikary, Prasun Mukherjee, Thomas A. Casey, Mark A. Rasmussen, Frank D. Maistrovich, Amir N. Hamir, Marcus E. Kehrli, Jr., Jürgen A. Richt and Jacob W. Petrich. “Fluorescence-Based Method, Exploiting Lipofuscin, for Real-Time Detection of Central Nervous System Tissues on Bovine Carcasses.” J. Agric. Food Chem., 2008, 56, 6220-6226.
- Prasun Mukherjee, Sayantan Bose, Alyse A. Hurd, Ramkrishna Adhikary, Holger Schönenbrücher, Amir N. Hamir, Jürgen A. Richt, Thomas A. Casey, Mark A. Rasmussen and Jacob W. Petrich. “Monitoring the Accumulation of Lipofuscin in Aging Murine Eyes by Fluorescence Spectroscopy.” Photochem. Photobiol., 2009, 85, 234-238.
- Ramkrishna Adhikary, Prasun Mukherjee, Tak W. Kee and Jacob W. Petrich. “Excited-State Intramolecular Hydrogen Atom Transfer and Solvation Dynamics of the Medicinal Pigment Curcumin.” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2009, 113, 5255-5261.
- Sayantan Bose, Ramkrishna Adhikary, Prasun Mukherjee, Xueyu Song and Jacob W. Petrich. “Considerations for the Construction of the Solvation Correlation Function and Implications for the Interpretation of Dielectric Relaxation in Proteins.” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2009, 113, 11061-11068 (feature article, issue cover).
- Ramkrishna Adhikary, Prasun Mukherjee, Govindarajan Krishnamoorthy, Robert A. Kunkle, Thomas A. Casey, Mark A. Rasmussen and Jacob W. Petrich. “Fluorescence Spectroscopy of the Retina for Diagnosis of Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies.” Anal. Chem., 2010, 82, 4097-4101.
- Ramkrishna Adhikary, Prasun Mukherjee, Holger Schönenbrücher, Thomas A. Casey, Mark A. Rasmussen and Jacob W. Petrich. “Real-Time Detection of Central Nervous System Tissues on Bovine Carcasses Using Fluorescence Spectroscopy.” American Laboratory e-Supplement, 2010, 3, 8-14.
- Tak W. Kee, Ramkrishna Adhikary, Philip J. Carlson, Prasun Mukherjee and Jacob W. Petrich. “Femtosecond Fluorescence Upconversion Investigations on the Excited State Photophysics of Curcumin.” (Review) Aust. J. Chem., 2011, 64, 23-30.
- Post-doctoral work at University of Pittsburgh.
Mingyan Wu, Prasun Mukherjee, Daniel N. Lamont and David H. Waldeck. “Electron Transfer and Fluorescence Quenching of Nanoparticle Assemblies.” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2010, 114, 5751-5759.
- Prasun Mukherjee, Chad M. Shade, Adrienne M. Yingling, Daniel N. Lamont, David H. Waldeck and Stéphane Petoud. “Lanthanide Sensitization in II-VI Semiconductor Materials: A Case Study with Terbium (III) and Europium (III) in Zinc Sulfide Nanoparticles.” J. Phys. Chem. A, 2011, 115, 4031-4041 (special issue).
- George O. Angheloiu, Abigail S. Haka, Irene Georgakoudi, Joseph Arendt, Markus G. Müller, Obrad R. Scepanovic, Stephen P. Evanko, Thomas N. Wight, Prasun Mukherjee, David H. Waldeck, Ramachandra R. Dasari, Maryann Fitzmaurice, John R. Kramer and Michael S. Feld. “Detection of Coronary Atherosclerotic Plaques with Superficial Proteoglycans and Foam Cells using Real-Time Intrinsic Fluorescence Spectroscopy.” Atherosclerosis, 2011, 215, 96-102.
- Jean-François Lemonnier, Laure Guénée, César Beuchat, Tomasz A. Wesolowski, Prasun Mukherjee, David H. Waldeck, Kristy A. Gogick, Stéphane Petoud and Claude Piguet. “Optimizing Sensitization Processes in Dinuclear Luminescent Lanthanide Oligomers: Selection of Rigid Aromatic Spacers.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 16219-16234.
- Jean-François Lemonnier, Lucille Babel, Laure Guénée, Prasun Mukherjee, David H.Waldeck, Svetlana V. Eliseeva, Stéphane Petoud and Claude Piguet. “Perfluorinated Aromatic Spacers for Sensitizing Europium(III) Centers in Dinuclear Oligomers: Better than the Best by Chemical Design?” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2012, 51, 11302-11305.
- Prasun Mukherjee, Robin F. Sloan, Chad M. Shade, David H. Waldeck and Stéphane Petoud. “A Post-synthetic Modification of II-VI Semiconductor Nanoparticles to Create Tb3+ and Eu3+ Luminophores.” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2013, 117, 14451-14460.
- Y. Wang, K. Liu, P. Mukherjee, D. A. Hines, P. Santra, H. Y. Shen, P. Kamat and D. H. Waldeck. “Driving charge separation for hybrid solar cells: photo-induced hole transfer in conjugated copolymer and semiconductor nanoparticle assemblies.” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2014, 16, 5066-5070.
- At University of Calcutta
Ankita Ghatak, Gouranga H. Debnath, Madhuri Mandal and Prasun Mukherjee. “Lanthanide cation-induced tuning of surface capping properties in zinc sulfide nanoparticles: an infrared absorption study.” RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 32920-32932.
- Gouranga H. Debnath, Arijita Chakraborty, Ankita Ghatak, Madhuri Mandal and Prasun Mukherjee. “Controlled Terbium(III) Luminescence in Zinc Sulfide Nanoparticles: An Assessment of Competitive Photophysical Processes.” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2015, 119, 24132-24141.
- Arijita Chakraborty, Gouranga H. Debnath, Manisha Ahir, Saurav Bhattacharya, Priyanka Upadhyay, Arghya Adhikary and Prasun Mukherjee. “Towards the realization of luminescence from visible emitting trivalent lanthanides (Sm, Eu, Tb, Dy) in polar zinc sulfide nanoparticles: evaluation of in vitro cytotoxicity.” RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 43304-43315.
- Gouranga H. Debnath, Arijita Chakraborty and Prasun Mukherjee. “Capping ligand infrared absorption and dopant photoluminescence spectroscopy provides a comprehensive picture to probe dopant spatial location in semiconductor nanoparticles.” RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 85230-85241.
- Arijita Chakraborty, Gouranga H. Debnath, Nayan Ranjan Saha, Dipankar Chattopadhyay, David H. Waldeck and Prasun Mukherjee. “Identifying the Correct Host−Guest Combination To Sensitize Trivalent Lanthanide (Guest) Luminescence: Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles as a Model Host System.” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2016, 120, 23870-23882.
- Prasenjit Manna, Arijita Chakraborty, Gouranga H. Debnath and Prasun Mukherjee. “How Important is the Host (Semiconductor Nanoparticles) Identity and Absolute Band Gap in Host-Sensitized Dopant Photoluminescence?” J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2017, 8, 2794-2798.
- Arijita Chakraborty, Gouranga H. Debnath and Prasun Mukherjee. “Assessing inter lanthanide photophysical interactions in co-doped titanium dioxide nanoparticles for multiplex assays.” RSC Adv., 2017, 7, 40767-40778.
- Saoni Rudra, Gouranga H. Debnath and Prasun Mukherjee. “Role of reactant concentration and identity of added cation in controlling emission from post-synthetically modified terbium incorporated zinc sulfide nanoparticles: an avenue for the detection of lead(II) cations.” RSC Adv., 2018, 8, 18093-18108.
- Arijita Chakraborty, Gouranga H. Debnath and Prasun Mukherjee. “Maximizing dopant photoluminescence in co-doped semiconductor nanoparticles for multiplex assays by tuning inter dopant electronic interactions: Synthetic co-doping or physical mixing of singly doped moieties?” Journal of Luminescence, 2018, 203, 257-266.
- Gouranga H. Debnath, Saurav Bhattacharya, Arghya Adhikary and Prasun Mukherjee. “Host-sensitized sharp samarium emission from doped titanium dioxide nanoparticles as non-cytotoxic photostable reporters for live-cell imaging.” New J. Chem., 2018, 42, 14832-14842.
- Prasenjit Manna, Gouranga H. Debnath, David H. Waldeck and Prasun Mukherjee. “What Is Beyond Charge Trapping in Semiconductor Nanoparticle Sensitized Dopant Photoluminescence?” J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2018, 9, 6191-6197.